Some families might like to take it easy on Saturday morning, maybe sleep in a bit, have some coffee and read the newspaper, but not us. By 9am today we had already called poison control and completed a visit to the ER. For two separate incidents. Oy.
First, we were a bit overzealous with the antibiotics for Nick’s ear infection and through a little miscommunication, both of us gave Nick his morning dose. We freaked out and I frantically called poison control while Sam put his fingers to work looking up advice on the internet. Both sources assured us Nicky would be fine and we breathed a sigh of relief.
But during that time, Nicky was playing alone in the kitchen. Not unusual, but we soon realized that we were hearing a different noise than we were used to – it sounded like he was playing with popcorn kernals in a metal cup. We went to investigate and sure enough, Nicky had discovered a package of childproofing supplies (oh, the irony!) and had managed to open it up enough to get all of the screws out. He was busily organizing the 20 or so 1/4″ long and VERY sharp screws into measuring cups. Oh. Crap. Right then he picked one up and stuck it in his mouth. We got that one out, but there was no way of knowing how many others he’d stuck in there, so we were off to the emergency room. One hour and one x-ray later, Nicky was certified foreign-object-free. Phew.
Remember when we used to sleep in until 9am?