Nicky had a remarkable first this week – he came with me on a 24 hour business trip to Oregon. He got to see uncle Andrew and uncle Coleman for a little bit and spent the day playing with grandma while I went to meetings (poor grandpa was stuck in jury duty). He and I both loved seeing everyone but we’re also both exhausted from our excursion.
We learned a few important lessons:
- Nick does not like room 1002 at the Westin in Portland. Every time he passed through the door he started whining.
- Nick does like playing in the water fountain/wading pool they have in downtown Portland. It was so cute watching him try to catch the water that was shooting out of the fountain.
- Nick is much harder to fly with now that he’s mobile. He’s not content to sit still in your lap and play with the fun toys you brought – he wants to move!
- Nick can be a very good boy when he stays up late. We went out to dinner with the uncles and grandma on Wednesday night and were out a bit later than normal. Nick was busy charming the whole restaurant and wiggling his little head like mad to make sure all the attention was on him despite having visibly sleepy eyes. What a trooper!
- Nick can be a disaster when he stays up late. On the plane ride home on Thursday night (second night of staying up late), Nick was an exhausted, screaming, puddle of tears and refused to sleep at all on the plane. Yes, I was that mom and he was that baby…yikes. The poor guy next to us just found out that his wife is 6 weeks pregnant but I think after traveling next to us he is probably having second thoughts.